Wednesday, January 4, 2012

12 X 12 Scrappy Rectangles question answered

A blog follower asked this question today:

"Question- is there any way i could cut this in half? like child/baby size I'm slowly learning quilting but have tons of scraps from sewing that i'd love to use up but I know not enough for this size. If there is a way -could you possibly help me out with the amount per each etc? thanks so much" 
Well, Jessica (and anyone else wanting a smaller size), we are happy to help!  Listed after the jump are options in 2 sizes so you can decide which you like. On a side note, the full-size project doesn't actually use up as many scraps as you might hope think it will!



For a quilt that finishes at 39-1/2" X 48", cut the following:

  • (63) 6-1/2" X 3-1/2" rectangles
  • (56) 6-1/2" X 1-1/2" rectangles
  • (54) 3-1/2" X 1-1/2" rectangles
  • (48) 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" squares


For a little larger quilt that finishes at 44" X 55", cut the following:

  • (80) 6-1/2" X 3-1/2" rectangles
  • (72) 6-1/2" X 1-1/2" rectangles
  • (70) 3-1/2" X 1-1/2" rectangles
  • (63) 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" squares


We are big believers in modifying projects - sizes, fabrics, layouts - to make every quilt your own unique creation. So please keep the questions coming - we love getting your ideas and input!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks again so very much, off to calculate now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea you are doing for the year. If I get my ahem in gear I would like to follow along. What I've done in the past, was with any scrap that was less than a Fat Eight, I will it into a standardized size .. 6 1/2" square down to 1 1/2" square .. also all the 1 1/2" sizes for log cabins up to 1 1/2 x 6 1/2. I do 2 1/2 x 6 1/2 and 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 as well. In addition I have a stash of 2" and 2" x 3 1/2" inch pieces. This way I don't have small pieces in my sorted drawers. Also - anything between 1" and 1 1/2" wide, I put in a string quilting box sorted by color .. and anything less than 1" would go in the trash - but now those tiny pieces are going in a pillow/pad for our cat! :) Thanks for spuring me on to continue with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tara! I LOVE the way you're organizing your scraps. What a great plan. I sure hope you'll be able to quilt along with us on some (or all) of our scrappy projects.

    Be sure and watch for February's projects - one will be a pet bed that we stuff with "throw-away scraps"! And we have a string quilt or two on the horizon! :)

    ReplyDelete